Monday, November 03, 2008

Restaurant etiquette

A few weeks ago, I did something in a restaurant that made me half ashamed. Now that I read Stephen Cox's latest Word Watch column, I'm half proud too. After being harassed at least an honest four or five times by waitresses and busboys who wanted to know, "how's yer meal goin'" and "how's everything," and the awkward "how's dinner tasting," the very owner of the restaurant came up, put his hand on my shoulder and asked, "how's your dining experience?" I replied, "don't touch me!" He said, "okay," and removed his hand. Then I said, "the food is okay; that's all." He left. My wife and friends silently looked at their plates.

Was that wrong? Probably. I guess Cox and I are both offended by words that are nowadays, sadly, perfectly good etiquette.

No comments: